Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hail to the Cafe.

In recent blog entries, Rich and Steve Tilley both eulogised Cafe Create, and wrote about how much they had enjoyed taking part and helping to organise it. After having thoroughly enjoyed last night's Create, I'd like to give the event a similarly glowing reference.

Performing in front of people is something that's very hard to get into. If you want to learn to play the guitar, then buy (or lend) one, get yourself a book (or DVD) and have a go, in the privacy of your own home. If you want to get into football, or martial ars, or dancing, or story-writing, or a whole host of other things, you can usually find some kind of beginners class or introductory course which will allow you to explore and get a 'feel' for it in a friendly, non-judgemental environment.

However, if you fancy having a go at engaging an audience, at standing up in front of a crowd of people and either entertaining them or holding their attention, opportunities to do so can be very thin on the ground. The general consensus is that if you want to stand up and command the undivided attention of a large group, you'd better have something worthwhile - or funny - to say. Someone wanting to explore a potential gift or talent in this area will always have difficulty finding an audience that is sympathetic, generous in its response, and willing to forgive novice mistakes.

This is where Create comes into it's element. I've seen some great acts there, and some not so great ones, but the quality of the act is not really what it's about. Everyone and anyone is encouraged to have a go at, well, whatever they fancy having a go at. Last night there was a stand-up comedy routine: the chap who did it was seriously brave for having a go, and he did have some genuinely funny gags. Overall, I'd say the standard of his act was round about 7 out of 10, but nobody was remotely concerned about occasional lapses in comic timing, or the odd punchline which didn't quite hit the mark. Everyone appreciated the fact that he'd had a go, gave him a warm response, and really enjoyed the performance.

Having an event like this, in which people can perform and feel 'safe', makes for a great social occasion and is also of spiritual benefit, I think. If your act is average, no-one's going to criticise you and good on you for having a go, but if it's seriously good (and they often are) then it might give you the confidence to pursue and develop the talent. You might uncover a gift for stand-up, or poetry reading, or acting, or just for public speaking. The Church is always going to benefit from knowing about people who can engage an audience, and I bet that Cafe Create has uncovered a few spiritual gifts in its time.

The next one is towards the end of March (forget what date exactly) so if you can, come along, and better still, get yourself on stage. You'll not find a better place in which to have a go!

7 comments:

AnnaP said...

are you going to do some impressions?
that would be a right laugh but I bet you daren't!

Joe said...

Did an impression-based sketch at this one, ACTUALLY!

Rich Burley said...

Here here (to your original comment.) People discovering talents amongst a supportive crowd was probably my favourite part of Cafe Create when I was in Leam.

AnnaP said...

Rich - think you mean 'hear, hear'.....

Anal, I know, but you'll thank me at some point!

Rich Burley said...

D'oh!

Anna, I thank you now!

Whilst I'm pretty anal about spelling myself, occasionally, to my horror, I find myself repeating the errors I ridicule in other people.

I have another problem too - when writing I often abesnt-mindedly start with the 2nd letter of the word, and have to go back to put the 1st in. This is, I'm sure, either a mild form of dyslexia kicking in, or just my mind being too fast for my hand, or both.

Jonathan Potts said...

I used to write capital 'Y's the wrong way round until I finally forced myself to learn the correct way at age 15. I also frequently omit letters from words/write random wrong letters down inside a word/write down totally the wrong word. And my handwriting's abismal - basically, I'm just completely incapable at writing without a keyboard. Thank goodness we live in the computer age.

Still, didn't stop the endless grief from half-witted teachers at school, though.

Joe said...

How intriguing!

Been on a course today about boys and under-achievement in schools, and how the whole obsession with neat handwriting, good spelling and presentation often inhibits boys' natural creativity.

Don't be too hard on us teachers though, Mr. Potts. We often have to impose standards that have been imposed upon us, and are no less disgruntled about it than the pupils.